Friday 2 March 2012

Work Experience #2 (Day 1 & 2)

I've spent the last week on work experience in Hermitage Vet in Lucan. I'd never really thought about being a vet to be honest but I like animals so I said I'd give it a shot because I might find out I'd like to be one :)

Day 1 
On the first morning I wasn't that nervous because I go to this vet with my dog so I knew the people were lovely but I was anxious to see what I'd be doing. I was told to arrive every morning at 8.45 and when I got there my supervisor wasn't there yet so i just had to hoover the rooms. The kennels began to start filling up with owners dropping their pets in for different operations. First, the smallest dog ever arrived in! She was a mini Yorkshire terrier called Jessie and she was so small and nervous. I got to play and hold her a but before her operation with was spaying.
This is what she looked like (source)-> 
A few more dogs arrived as well as some cats. I cleaned out some kennels which wasn't as bad as I expected and got used to it pretty quickly. Then it was time for surgery....They were neutering a dog. I wasn't that nervous or anything before going into it but I think something got into my head that it'd be really bad and then i was told '4 out of 5 work experience people faint in their first surgery.' Great. It was all going grand, I felt fine but then the room was really stuffy because it was so small and I decided to wear a good few layers of clothes (bad idea) and well you can probably guess where I'm going here...yep I fainted. It wasn't bad at all though I woke up straight away and was grand again after drinking some lucozade! But still..pretty embarrassing.
I did a few more little jobs the rest of the day like cleaning instruments and listening to vet consultations.


Day 2 
Going in on day 2, I was determined to sit through a surgery without fainting and I did :D It really just takes getting used to and I don't really mind it at all now. There were 2 surgery's in the morning and then they had to x-ray a dog who had gotten knocked over by a car. It was really sad to watch when this dog came in. When they tried to let him walk on his own his back legs couldn't move at all and he really struggled.
Doing the x-rays really interested me. The machine is so advanced and gives such good results. From the x-ray they found out the dog had broken his pelvis in many places and were so surprised he was able to walk at all. His owners would then have to choose whether to let him have surgery or restrict him from walking at home for 6 weeks which would mean keeping him in a cage :(
I had never really thought about radiography as a career but after seeing it being done, I'd really like to find out more about it.

On Tuesday night I came down with something and ended up being sick on Wednesday and Thursday :( I was gutted to miss the days but I definitely would of fainted if I had went in!
 source

No comments:

Post a Comment