Friday 2 March 2012

Work experience Day 5 :)



On Friday luckily I was well enough to go in for the day! There wasn't too much going on today so in the morning I did the usual cleaning of the kennels etc.. First a cat was getting spayed which didn't take too long and then they sedated a dog and examined his ears because he was having trouble with them. A branch of this vet was set up recently in Maynooth and one of the nurses from there arrived over with a dog who had got caught in barbed wire and needed to be x-rayed and stitched. From the x-ray they found he had broken a piece of his bone in his elbow.
I finished at about 2 o'clock everyday which was great!

The people in Hermitage Vet were so nice. I had known one or two of them because I bring my dog there but everyone was so helpful! They all bring their dogs to the clinic everyday and they either wander around different rooms or go outside in the really big garden and play! All the dogs are so well behaved and in my spare time if there wasn't anything to do, I got to play with them! :)
One of the surgeons dogs was one of the best trained dogs I've ever seen! Her name was Mindy and she was a Puggle. Yes, believe it or not, there is a breed of dog called puggle. I hadn't heard of it either. Shes half Pug half Beagle.
Here's a picture of a puggle: 
She did all the usual dog tricks like sit, high 5, lie down etc... but then.. when her owner shouts BANG she screams and I mean SCREAMS (not barks!) and jumps onto her back and starts rolling around on the ground pretending she got shot! It was the funniest thing I've ever seen a dog do! :)

All the staff's dogs are so well behaved and so friendly. Here's a picture of some of the staff with some of their dogs :)


After the week, I would consider a veterinary nurse as a career but maybe not a veterinary surgeon! Overall I enjoyed myself and I kinda wish we had more work experience now :(

No comments:

Post a Comment